Golf Cart & Neighborhood Vehicle Inspections
The Village of Harristown ordinances allow for the operation of golf carts and neighborhood vehicles within the village limits subject to these requirements and regulations.
Annual permits must be obtained at the Harristown Village hall. Persons interested in obtaining a permit should read the ordinance below outlining requirements for golf carts and neighborhood vehicles. Interested parties must complete the below application and release form, pay applicable fee, and provide proof of adequate insurance for the vehicle. A vehicle inspection is also required. Upon successful completion of inspection, a Non-Highway Vehicle permit will be affixed to the vehicle.
Permits are valid for 1 (one) year, January 1st – December 31st .
The minimum age allowed to operate a golf cart or neighborhood vehicle on Village streets is 16 years old.
A golf cart or Neighborhood Vehicle to be operated on a Village street shall have the following equipment in good working condition at all times:
- Steering apparatus;
- A rear view mirror
- A slow-moving emblem required by 625 ILCS 5/12-709 attached to the rear and a red reflector warning device on the front and rear;
- Two headlights that emit white light visible from at least 500 feet to the front;
- Two tail lamps that emit red light visible from at least 100 feet to the rear
- Two brake lights on rear;
- Turn signals on front and rear; and
- A permanently mounted seat for each passenger that was installed by the manufacturer.
Operating a golf cart or off-highway vehicle on Village streets is a privilege and not a right. Village officials request that vehicles be operated in a safe manner at all times.